Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment for international students that is an integral part of an established curriculum and is directly related to the student’s major area of study. For specific information regarding CMU's process and policies on CPT, or whether you should apply for CPT or OPT, please refer to the Office of International Education's website.

Please note that the information provided on this page is specific to undergraduate ECE international students only. If you are a domestic student and wish to register for an internship for academic credit, please contact your undergraduate academic advisor, Rachel Amos or Vickie Woodhead . If you are an ECE MS student, please contact Nesli Ozdoganlar or Jillian McCarthy. If you are an ECE PhD student please contact Nathan Snizaski .

Most students that participate in CPT internships do so during the summer. Please speak to your academic advisor as soon as possible once you have decided that you want to participate in an internship, or have accepted an offer. Because CPT is related to your academic curriculum, dates for internships must fall within the academic semester during the time you are participating in your internship. For example, summer internships are not permitted to fall outside of the dates of the summer semester. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please consult with your academic and/or OIE advisor.

Undergraduate international students wishing to participate in a summer internship should follow the process outlined below:

  1. Speak with your advisor about your desire to participate in a summer internship and review the policies and procedures. Please note that CPT is only available for the summer term.
  2. Obtain an internship directly related to your ECE major. Ensure that the dates fall within the summer semester start and end dates. Note that international students are not eligible for a co-op.
  3. Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor. Bring with you the following items:
  4. Your academic advisor will enroll you in a 3 unit internship course. Please note that you will be responsible for paying for these units through your SIO account.
  5. Attend a CPT session. Review OIE's website for CPT session dates. Please note that CPT processing for the summer doesn't happen until after summer registration opens in mid-March, so sessions will not be held until the second half of the spring semester.
  6. Once you have completed your internship submit a 1-2 page summary and reflection paper to your academic advisor. See the ECE Internship Course Enrollment form or your academic advisor for details and due dates.